We’re preparing for the huge snowstorm – it’s 6:20 P.M. – and the nurse at Loyola just called to schedule surgery.
I did mention that my uterus “lit up” on the PET scan and my oncologist had me talk with my gynecologist. He had concerns because he had not been able to obtain a satisfactory sample during a D and C. He recommended an hysterectomy at that time due to serveral factors but the diagnosis of breast cancer trumped everything and I had that taken care of. During the last couple of years tests have been negative and until the last scan there wasn’t any urgency. When I called him he recommended that I see a gynecological oncologist at Loyola. I mentioned the name to my oncologist and he concurred. This happened on the 11th. Loyola called, I picked up the PET scan disc and I saw the doctor at Loyola on Tuesday the 17th. He called yesterday to tell me that I had a low grade cancer. It is unknown what would result if I took hormones along with my targeted chemo and so hysterectomy was suggested – he had spoken with my oncologist and they felt that would be the better choice. I am definitely able to do this as far as my health is concerned. Since I am currently feeling so well I concur. I would hate to wait and find myself needing surgery or having additional trouble down the line . . . this seems like the right time to do this.
And so, I just got off the phone. Surgery is scheduled after Thanksgiving. Laproscopic. It will be just an overnight stay in the hospital. This doctor’s done many – believe me I checked. He’s been practicing for 34 years. He’s a kind man. He will do the surgery. I asked because knowing this is a teaching hospital I was afraid it might not be. Because he is an oncologist he will also be checking lymph nodes which is something my gynecologist had been concerned about. And, this is endometrial cancer. I have just received another new diagnosis.
Based on how well I feel, I have once more decided I intend to live to be at least 90 – that had been my plan before all of this started. Anyway, as I told my sister, I am sure I have 6 months out from each day I feel well. So, once more, I’ll just keep on truckin’!